- Job Reference: 269658189-2
- Date Posted: 24 April 2021
- Recruiter: START Treatment & Recovery Centers
- Location: Brooklyn, New York
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type: Permanent
Position Summary: Under the overall supervision of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), with some latitude for the use of independent judgment and initiative, the Internal Auditor will provide an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve START's operations.
This professional will provide a discipline approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes and will assess the interactions of mission-critical systems of START, collaborating with the Chief Operating Officer, the Chief Financial Officer and other senior leaders of START. This role is geared for a detailed business minded individual with systems and processes approach to correction and improvement of outcomes. Major activities include assisting in the development of the audit and audit work program: reviewing program; conducting fieldwork; and assisting in the development of observations and root causes to financial revenue challenges and processes/workflow.
* Audit Planning: Obtains general information about the kinds of activities performed in an organization, the general nature of those activities and their relative importance, and other general information to help plan the early portions of the engagement.
* Work Program: Within the first month, prepares the audit work program for the preliminary review of those activities selected for review in the planning phase. Such programs must be individualized for each situation and each work step must state clearly the work to be done and why.
* Field Work: Conducting fieldwork which includes analysis of operations to determine the effectiveness of management and related controls and to determine whether a situation needs improvement, whether it is significant, and what should be done about it.
* Development of Findings Including Root Causes: Develops specific findings including root causes based on the significant areas identified during the field work phase
* Reporting: Prepares and submits reports to the CEO and relevant committees of the START Board of Trustees relative to the results of the audit and recommendations and immediate corrective action measures if needed.
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
* Master's degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration
* Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required.
* Two years of related auditing experience including involvement with operations and/or administrative departments, or a combination of experience and education
* Knowledge of the auditing environment and a high degree of skill and experience with the analytical techniques and tools needed to solve problems
* Possess the sensitivity to, and understanding of, the values and goals of all the various people that make up an organization
* Knowledge of and ability to identify sound financial practices
* Excellent written and oral communications skills
* Knowledge of current thinking and procedures such as total quality benchmarking, reengineering including application of these concepts
* Knowledge of information systems utilized in industry, including implementation and application of some of these systems.
* Knowledge of the fiscal requirements and regulations related to NYS article 28, 31, and 32 is preferred
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the position which are reviewed on each individual case.
While performing the responsibilities of the role, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
Depending on the physical work location and/or job duties, the successful candidate may be required to be screened through the NY State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs and/or screening through the New York State Central Child Abuse Register prior to assuming any duties that will involve contact with patients and/or children.
START is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. START encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
START undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: engagement at startny.org ~Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.