Incumbent serves as a Program Analyst in the Loan Policy element of the Loan Policy and Valuation Section of the Loan Guaranty Service. Loan Policy is responsible for the formulation of regulations, policies and procedures necessary to administer the provisions of Title 38 United States Code, as amended, relating to the eligibility of veterans for VA guaranteed loans, the guaranty of loans, and the making of direct loans. This position can be located in either Washington, DC or LGY Location.
Learn more about this agency
Specific duties include:
* Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations. Provides recommendations for resolution of questions and issues related to loan origination matters. Participates in formulating and recommending plans and policies for nationwide application, governing loans to be made and guaranteed for the purchase, construction, repair, alteration and improvement of homes or for the refinancing of existing home loans and governing loans to be guaranteed for the purchase of a manufactured home and/or manufactured home lot.
* Provides assistance and technical guidance on loan policy matters to other Loan Guaranty staff and field offices. Reviews Monitoring Unit reports and makes recommendations as to whether referred loans are egregious and warrant indemnification requests from lenders. Reviews files sent from field stations to determine if the underwriting is so poor as to warrant seeking indemnification from the lender. Reviews files and eligibility determinations for quality control purposes.
* Prepares correspondence for signature of various VA officials, up to the Secretary level. Correspondence may be from field stations, program participants, other government agencies, and/or Congressional and White House sources. Researches the issue and convey a professional, accurate response which effects the Loan Policy position.
* Interacts with all customers both internal and external - in a responsive, courteous, professional manner. Strives to respond to all inquiries in a timely, accurate manner, thereby providing world- class customer service.
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday through Friday
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Program Analyst; 37598A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Occasional travel - you may be expected to travel for this position.
* Job family (Series)
0343 Management And Program Analysis
* Analysts, Program
* Program Analysts
Conditions of Employment
* You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* You may be required to serve a probationary period
* Subject to background/security investigation
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement:05/06/2021.
TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENT: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements.
* For a GS-13 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-12 level.
The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: You may qualify based on your experience as described below:
GS-13 Grade Level:
Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to:
1. Applicants must have (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-12). Specialized experience is: experience as a technical authority regarding veteran eligibility, automatic lender qualifications, VA credit standards, the mortgage lending industry and the processing requirements for VA guaranteed and direct loans; experience in assisting in planning, organizing, and directing a national benefit program and to effectively manage and Implement recommendations when proposals involve substantial agency resources or extensive changes in established procedures; and experience in analyzing and interpreting existing policies and procedures in order to assist and guide coworkers, field stations' Loan Guaranty staff, veterans, mortgage lenders' processors, underwriters, loan closers, real estate sales professionals and other interested parties.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Full vs. Part-Time Employment: Full-time employment is considered to be at least 35 hours per week. Part-time experience will be credited on a pro-rated basis; when including part-time employment in your resume you must specify the average hours worked per week.
Physical Requirements: This position is primarily sedentary with some walking, standing, bending, and/or carrying lightweight items.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at http://://
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to be credited towards qualifications. Provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
All education claimed by applicants will be verified upon appointment. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript to receive credit.